Monday, March 8, 2010

The Room of Enlightenment

Every house has a Room of Enlightenment. It's true, you have one as well. Great thoughts occur in this room, pearls of widom are realized and life's problems seem clearer.
This room, (wait for it) is your bathroom.

How many times have you heard, "There I was, brushing my teeth- and then it came to me!"? Some of my most brilliant ideas come spacing out while brushing my teeth, doing my hair & makeup, showering etc.

This morning I was showering and thinking about the Oscars last night and on those honored writers, who all said that they never expected their dream to bring them to winning an Oscar. Sure, they had a dream, but they were also given the opportunity by others to bring their dream to fruition. It was betwixt lathering, staring into the abyss of my shower, and rinsing that the thought occurred to me. . . Opportunities are created by bold acts.

And I'm sure a whole heap of self-confidence.

Ever since I can remember I have wanted to be a writer. In 1st grade we were supposed to write a story that took up one whole page. Sure, this page was those hugely spaced lines created to help with handwriting, so each page really has about five lines. Everyone struggled to think of a story that would take the entire page, and I wrote a story that took up four pages. Wowzers, that was like a whole 20 sentences!

Nowadays I see all sorts of books that are big sellers, but the writing is sub-par. I'm talking to you, Stephanie Meyer. Apparently you just have to have a great idea, and it doesn't matter if you can write or not.

That gives me hope. If this author and that author can get published with low quality writing, then gosh dang it- So can I!'

I just need a really good idea . . .

Granted, I'm still on the high of my new-found determination, and said determination won't last through the end of the work day, but shoot- right now I'm going to close my eyes and pretend I'm on the NY Bestsellers list. And maybe, just maybe, that will happen. For now, I think my "bold act" will just have to be to believe in myself, and to take a little action.

No comments: