Monday, March 30, 2009

I'm Getting A Puppy!

If you've known me for more than five minutes you probably know that I have been desperately wanting a puppy for quite a while. Jordan has wanted one as well, but was a little more realistic saying that our condo is small, and we don't have a yard and such. He said we could get one when we move into a house, and who knows when that would be? However, I knew if I was patient enough, then eventually he would cave the second he saw a puppy in person. The idea of a puppy was enough for him to turn down, but the second he holds a puppy I knew he would be hooked. Since he works at a grocery store I knew it was only a matter of time before someone was sitting out front trying to get rid of puppies.

Such a thing happened. Sort of. It wasn't someone sitting out front, but a coworker who brought two chihuahua puppies in, and sure enough Jordan fell in love.

Originally I was excited; I couldn't believe that we were actually getting a puppy! I still can't believe it. Then I was thinking that while Chihuahuas are cute they're not my first choice of dogs, and am I sure this is the animal that I want to commit to? I talked to Jordan to make sure that this was what we wanted, and I think if I had met the puppy like he had I would be as sure as him. But now I'm right back to being excited. At this point I will take whatever puppy I can get my hands on, and I'm just grateful I don't have to push Jordan into it and that's he's just as excited.

Another reason why a chihuahua is a good choice for us, is 'cause since our condo is small, we do need a small dog. And we didn't want a dog that was going to tower over the kitties and terrorize them. This puppy will be a little smaller than the kits when full grown (we assume) and hopefully they'll all get along. I have unnaturally loving/cuddly goodnatured cats, so I've got high hopes.

We were going to pick her up over the weekend, but the weather was so bad we didn't want to drive to sandy where this coworker lives. Plus we didn't want to get her, and leave her home all week long. Jordan's day off is Thursday, so he's going to get her then and have the day with her, and then I'm going to (hopefully) take friday off, and have the day with her, and then we'll have the weekend with her, and after all that time with her, she should be comfortable enough at home that we can leave her to go to work.

So I'll be sure to post pictures when we get her!

No comments: