Monday, March 23, 2009

Where You're At Right Now, Is a Great Place To Be

A little over a month ago I started to do yoga. To me, yoga had always been a very intimidating exercise 'cause I thought it was for the super skinny and flexible. While it certainly helps to be Ms. Gumby, it's definitely not what I had cracked it out to be.


It all started when a lady that I work with certified to be a yoga instructor and started teaching classes. She held an open house and said hmm, why not? Sounds like it could be fun. I was nervous, never having done it before, but I had a lot of fund, had a great workout and didn't even feel like I was working out most of the time. I just felt like I was doing a lot of stretches, and breathing exercises, so afterwards I felt all relaxed and not exhausted. It wasn't until the next day when my muscles were sore that I realized just how thorough of a workout it was.

Another thing about yoga that I absolutely love is the idea that you shouldn't push yourself. The ideals around exercising and other workout routines is that you need to push yourself further and further, no pain no gain. With yoga the idea is where you're at, is where you're supposed to be. You go as far as your body will allow, and don't push it past that, then the next time you will be able to stretch farther and hold poses longer as you naturally get better. A relaxing, no pressure workout definitely has my name on it.

So I started to go to my co worker's classes once a week with my sister, and really started to enjoy it so we kicked it up a notch and started going to classes at the Orem Rec Center a couple times a week. Those are a lot longer and high powered than I was used to, but holy cow, it sure works you out! When I thought of yoga, I always thought of it as just posing is crazy positions, but I never realized how hard it is. You're basically holding your own body weight and that alone works your muscles.

So, if you're looking for a fun new way to exercise that gets the job done and tricks you into thinking you're just stretching, then yoga is definitely something you should try.

No comments: