Tuesday, August 3, 2010

I think I'm smarter in my sleep

I'm not generally good at problem solving, and particularly not in a traumatic situation.  In my dreams, though I'm calm, cool and collected and could get us out of any jam.

A couple nights ago I had a dream that the world was ending.  The Sun had exploded creating a black hole, (I'm not sure on the accuracy of said statements) and this happened during my family reunion, so we were all camping and sitting under a big wooden pavilion .  After it rained fire, the pavilion caught on fire, but we didn't have any water, or any way to get the fabled water onto the roof of the pavilion to douse the flames should we have any.  So I stuck my niece on my brothers shoulders, grabbed a 2 liter of root beer and gave it a big ol' shake-shake-shake and told her to open it up pointing towards the flames.  She opened it and the root beer shooting out reached the higher flames while I grabbed a second bottle and worked on the lower flames.

If that had been real, and our only apocalypse shelter lit on fire I would say Holy freak- there's a fire and we have no water!  Whatever are we to do?!  And then panic, and then probably die.  Never would I think to shoot super powered root beer into the flames.

When I was younger and having a nightmare, maybe being chased by monsters or taken hostage by mobsters, I always dropped to my knees and said a prayer and woke up.  It was the weirdest thing, but every single time I had a nightmare I would pray my way out of it, and now I don't really get nightmares.

Usually any good idea for a story I have comes from my dreams.  I will wake up and think, that it a perfect storyline for a book!  I should write it so I see what happens next.  I never would have been able to come up with a plot like that as my waking self.

So I've come to the conclusion that my subconscious is more sure-headed and clever, more faithful and creative than I could ever be.  I think my subconscious is holding out on me.

1 comment:

Jeanie Doll said...

I once bought a book the had dream interpretations. I wish I was smarter in my sleep. I'm just weird in sleep.